What to Expect On Your First Ski Lesson
If you’ve never been skiing before, here are a few things everyone should expect on their first ski lesson:
- Skiing is a rufty tufty sport, so expect to fall over a lot! This embarrasses some folk because, let’s face it, most adults don’t fall over much unless they are erm…under a certain influence! Don’t feel silly, your ski instructor sees it all the time and will take it as a sign you are trying.
- All that falling over is exhausting, so you will need to work on your fitness in advance. We recommend ski lessons of maximum 3hrs duration for absolute beginners because it is so tiring.
- Ski bindings need to be calibrated according to the wearer’s size and experience. Tell the ski hire shop you are an absolute beginner and they can set them accordingly and safely. This is not your ski instructor’s area of expertise.
- A good ski lesson is about YOU, not your instructor. If he is busy showing what HE can do instead of helping you then find a different instructor!
- That said, getting yourself up and putting your skis back on is all part of the learning curves so don’t expect help every time. A good ski instructor will show you the best ways and wait patiently and cheerfully while you sort yourself out.
We have experienced, English speaking instructors at our ski school to help beginners get the most from their ski lessons in Avoriaz, Les Gets and Morzine. Contact us for more info!